Call Now (410) 650-4242

Greenberg Legal Group LLC

Call Now (410) 650-4242

Grandparent Custody & Visitation RightsWhether you’re a parent or a grandparent, you want the best for your children in your life. As a parent, this might mean setting hard boundaries about who gets to spend time with your precious children. As a grandparent, sometimes this requires that you request custody or visitation of a grandchild from your own son or daughter.

Custody involves becoming the legal guardian and caretaker of the children. Visitation rights for grandparents generally refer to the time that is scheduled for a grandparent to spend with their grandchildren. The legal framework that applies to grandparents in the realm of custody and visitation is different from that of biological parents, but grandparents still have the right to request time with their grandchildren.

Disagreements between parents and grandparents can lead to grandparent custody and visitation disputes. If you’re struggling with a family issue involving grandparent rights, you should reach out to a grandparent visitation rights lawyer for assistance.

In What Situations Can I Seek Custody Of Or Visitation With My Grandchild?

When a child lives with both parents in a loving and safe environment, the child’s grandparents are unlikely to receive any legal visitation or custody rights from the court. The child’s parents ultimately decide whether or not the grandparents can spend time with their child, and the court is unlikely to rule in favor of the grandparents.

Custody of a grandchild may be sought when the parents are not or are no longer in the picture. As a grandparent, you may also petition for custody of a grandchild if you believe the parent or parents are not fit, or your grandchild is unsafe. In some circumstances, grandparents may be able to obtain custody of their grandchild if the biological parents of the child are either absent or failing to provide proper care.

Understand Your Rights With Help From A Family Lawyer

Situations involving grandparent custody and visitation laws are not always straightforward. For that reason, you need an experienced attorney who knows how to navigate these difficult cases and provide you with an effective legal strategy to address the issues at hand.

Greenberg Legal Group LLC has represented both grandparents seeking custody and visitation, as well as parents defending against such actions, giving us an insightful perspective on how to handle these disputes. If you are concerned about grandparent rights relating to your children or grandchildren, please call our Annapolis, MD, office today at (410) 650-4242.

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U